Jesse Stevenson's Eagle Scout Project


Note: Faces of Scouts have been blured out in these photographs as a release form has to be signed before being able to publically view them. If you are the parent / gaurdian of a scout in these photographs and would like the face of your son to be visible, please email me at [email protected] I will process your request within 24 hours.

Day 1 - Assembling the doors

January 18th, 2015

Today we turned the 56 2x4 into doors. The wood pieces had already been precut at home on a radial arm saw with a dado blade, and cut to length with a table saw. Here, were were planing down the edges of the pieces that were just a bit too large, and assembling them with glue and screws. 7 out of the 8 doors were built during this time, one still needed assembling (forgot 2 pieces at home) ...


When I arrived, water had leaked into the tailer, and had all of the wood wet. We spent the first 30 min, positioning the wood and rotating it in front of the heater to quickly dry it out so we could start working on it

Special thanks to Chester Jackiewicz for providing us with the garage and heating so we were able to stay warm during the entire project.

While we were working, as this garage at the bottom of the valley, it sometimes has water issues during heavy rain storms. Today was a heavy rainstorm, and yes, we had water. One of the pictures above shows one of the boys who is rolling a tank of water picked up off the ground to the door.


Day 2 - Finish assembling and Paint!

January 19th, 2015

The doors were now assembled. The more handy of the adults that came were tasked with using the router to cut the slots needed to mount the windows. The older volunteers were tasked with sanding the doors with 80 grit sand paper on orbital sanders. Having 3-5 sanders running at once made quite an interesting sound. The rest of the volunteers, and those that were tired from sanding were tasked with painting. One interesting observation is that young scouts that don't have any thing to paint (as they were waiting for the sanders to finish), have a tendency to paint each other.

By days end, all of the doors were assembled, routed, sanded, and painted. It was quite a monumental effort, and it would not be possible without the help of so many scouts, FIRST Robotics FTC Team 5398 - Robotux, and others.


Day 3 - Installing the windows part 1

January 23rd, 2015

Today we aimed to have all of the windows put into the doors and have the doors ready to install for tomorrow. However, only the small windows had been cut beforehand (at my house). Scouts under the age of 18 are not allowed to do many of the cutting operations. So the cutting of this plastic (as well as the wood for the doors) was done separately by my dad or other adults available. So, we spent the day installing these windows. The windows first required a bead of caulk under the pane, then the pane was inserted - held in by points, then a second bead of caulk was laid over this, to be smoothed into a parabolic shape.

At first we were moving quite slow, as the caulker was laying down too much caulking and leading us to do a lot of clean up work in the end. After it was recommended by one of Chester's coworkers that the bead should be smaller, and applied in a particular manner, the operation happened much quicker.

By days end, each door had 4 out of 6 of the windows installed. Putting us in a good position for the next day


Day 4 - Installing the windows part 2 / painting hardware

January 25th, 2015

Today, the rest of the large windows were installed in the same fashion as the smaller windows. At some points, the acrylic windows didn't quite fit in the slots and had to be resized with the help of an electric plane or belt sander. Most of the sliding door hardware had also been manufactured (at my house again), and was painted here. The opaque surface you see on the window is a protective film that has been left on the plastic sheets to prevent them from scratching each other in transport. This had to be removed in the corners to ensure it didn't get into the caulking job.


Day 5 - Installing the doors part 1

Febuary 1st, 2015

Today, we began installing the doors at the food pantry. We had to take down the old vinyl panels, then mounting the brakets for the fixed door. This took time as the alignment of the doors is important. After the brakets were mounted and the doors attached to said brackets, anchors had to be installed into the concrete. This prevents the fixed doors from moving in the breeze, and makes the structure more stable.

By end of day, all of the fixed doors had been put up, and one sliding door.


Day 6 - Installing the doors part 2

Febuary 5th, 2015

Today, the rest of the sliding doors were put up (plus some anchors not able to be put on the previous day).


Fundraising

Fundraising was completed during St. Benedicts Friday and Saturday services. The first week, a presentation was given to the congretation that outlined the project, told the estimated cost for the project, and had a table in the gathering space with the 3d printed model, and a link to this webpage.

The second week, a short speech was given, reminding the attendies of the presentation last week, and asking for their generosity in donating during the second collection that day.

In total $